India Expertise and Litigation Experience
The global capabilities of Lorandos Joshi expand to our affiliate office in India. The significance of this is due to the expansion of India's international presence, coinciding with its emerging legal issues.
The firm's India affiliate is part of its international litigation practice. The firm is unique in that its diverse team of lawyers, researchers and investigators includes people from all different nations with the ability to speak different languages. Team members have lived in India, China, Iran, Brazil and the Caribbean.
International attorney, Ashish S. Joshi, is licensed to practice in India, which has become a major focus in South Asian business contracts and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act challenges. Other related India practice issues include:
- Transnational business litigation
- India business law
- International trade restrictions
- Arbitration and mediation
- International mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property including protecting trademarks/patents/copyrights
- Cross-border enforcement
International Attorney Ashish S. Joshi
Lorandos Joshi attorney Ashish S. Joshi, has extensive legal experience in India which includes:
- Litigation: Litigation in State High Courts, Company Law Board, Board of Industrial & Financial Reconstruction [BIFR] and Security Exchange Control Board of India [SEBI] on behalf of blue-chip corporate clients including Standard Chartered Bank, BNP Paribas, Cadburys, Larsen & Toubro, Birla AT&T, Volvo, Torrent Group, Zydus-Cadila Healthcare Limited, ICICI Limited, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories and International Best Foods Limited.
- Admiralty: Admiralty litigation leading to arrests of ships and defense of admiralty actions for maritime claims against the vessel for Indian and foreign clients.
- Arbitration: Represented corporate clients, Indian and foreign, in arbitration proceedings under Indian Arbitration Act 1940 and The Arbitration & Conciliation Act 1996.
- Corporate: Represented Indian and multinational corporations in mergers and acquisitions, restructuring and reconstructions, filing and/or defending winding up petitions, preparation of schemes of reconstruction and revival of 'sick' units before the Board of Industrial and Financial Reconstruction.
- Intellectual Property: Represented corporate clients in negotiation and litigation in cases pertaining to intellectual property rights and infringement actions.
- Power Projects/Energy: Associated with major litigation challenging the award of a power project to Asea Brown Boveri [ABB] by Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Limited; a Public Interest Litigation [PIL] challenging a power purchase agreement [PPA] between Essar Power Limited and Gujarat Electricity Board, a government of Gujarat undertaking.
- Public Interest Litigation: Represented a class in Public Interest Litigation [PIL] petitions before the High Court of Gujarat including a PIL challenging the state government's relief work after the devastating earthquake in the Gujarat State, India, on January 26, 2001.
Recognition and Publications
Lorandos Joshi attorney Ashish S. Joshi, recently gave a presentation to the Indo-American Chamber of Commerce on the topic of protection of trade secrets. He has also traveled to New Delhi, India, to cover depositions in a theft of trade secrets case.
Works written by Ashish S. Joshi, include:
Ashish Joshi, Mergers and Acquisitions in India: A Primer, Michigan Business Law Journal, Summer 2008
Ashish Joshi, Corporate Criminal Liability in India, Mich. Int'l Law., 19, Fall 2007.
Ashish Joshi, Changes in India's Patent Law and its Repercussions on the Global Drug Industry, Mich. Int'l Law., 16, Fall 2005.
For a consultation with an India business law attorney at Lorandos Joshi, call 734-545-2919 or send the firm an e-mail.
From its offices in the Detroit area (Ann Arbor) and India, Lorandos Joshi can represent clients in matters throughout the United States and around the world.