Our firm is unique in that its diverse team of lawyers, researchers, investigators and affiliates includes people from all different nations with the ability to speak different languages.
International Attorney Ashish S. Joshi
Managing partner and international attorney, Ashish S. Joshi, is licensed to practice in India, which has become a major focus in South Asian business contracts and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act challenges. Mr. Joshi, has extensive legal experience in India which includes:
- Litigation: Litigation in State High Courts, Company Law Board, Board of Industrial & Financial Reconstruction [BIFR] and Security Exchange Control Board of India [SEBI] on behalf of blue-chip corporate clients including Standard Chartered Bank, BNP Paribas, Cadburys, Larsen & Toubro, Birla AT&T, Volvo, Torrent Group, Zydus-Cadila Healthcare Limited, ICICI Limited, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories and International Best Foods Limited.
- Admiralty: Admiralty litigation leading to arrests of ships and defense of admiralty actions for maritime claims against the vessel for Indian and foreign clients.
- Arbitration: Represented corporate clients, Indian and foreign, in arbitration proceedings under Indian Arbitration Act 1940 and The Arbitration & Conciliation Act 1996.
- Corporate: Represented Indian and multinational corporations in mergers and acquisitions, restructuring and reconstructions, filing and/or defending winding up petitions, preparation of schemes of reconstruction and revival of 'sick' units before the Board of Industrial and Financial Reconstruction.
- Intellectual Property: Represented corporate clients in negotiation and litigation in cases pertaining to intellectual property rights and infringement actions.
- Power Projects/Energy: Associated with major litigation challenging the award of a power project to Asea Brown Boveri [ABB] by Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Limited; a Public Interest Litigation [PIL] challenging a power purchase agreement [PPA] between Essar Power Limited and Gujarat Electricity Board, a government of Gujarat undertaking.
- Public Interest Litigation: Represented a class in Public Interest Litigation [PIL] petitions before the High Court of Gujarat including a PIL challenging the state government's relief work after the devastating earthquake in the Gujarat State, India, on January 26, 2001.
At Lorandos Joshi, he has put his background to use and helped our clients in a variety of cases which cover areas such as:
- Transnational business litigation
- India business law
- International trade restrictions
- Arbitration and mediation
- International mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property including protecting trademarks/patents/copyrights
- Cross-border enforcement
Mr. Joshi is an expert in the field of transnational litigation and India practice. He has written several books and articles and given presentations on international and cross-border dispute resolution.
Works Written By Ashish S. Joshi
- Ashish Joshi, Mergers and Acquisitions in India: A Primer, Michigan Business Law Journal, Summer 2008
- Ashish Joshi, Corporate Criminal Liability in India, Mich. Int'l Law., 19, Fall 2007.
- Ashish Joshi, Changes in India's Patent Law and its Repercussions on the Global Drug Industry, Mich. Int'l Law., 16, Fall 2005.
For a consultation with an India business law attorney at Lorandos Joshi, call 734-249-6170 or send the firm an e-mail.
From our office in the Detroit area (Ann Arbor), Lorandos Joshi can represent clients in matters throughout the United States and around the world.